Monday, July 19, 2010

D is for Dimethylpolysiloxane

I was having a perfectly lovely evening enjoying my gardens . . . . a little random weeding amongst the petunias and oregano here, some watering of the pinks and mums there . . . .

I harvested some delicious Kentucky Blue Pole Beans, a zucchini, three Cayenne peppers, yellow and red carrots, and one ripe tomato from the vegetable garden. I peeked at an ear of sweet corn and am hopeful that I can enjoy one meal of homegrown sweet corn before I leave for the Holy Lands for two weeks.

The sunset was gorgeous, and at this time of year peaks through the western woods on our property, right past the old goat shed and just behind the beans and sunflowers. Mosquitoes weren't too bad . . .

So I came inside, pleased and proud of my modestly green thumb, plotting for tomorrow night in the hopes that I can convene a family dinner. I started digging around in the freezer to see what might complement the fresh veggies I anticipate preparing tomorrow night when I tripped across the whole chicken in a bag (Gold'n Plump, Bake It Easy, Seasoned Whole Chicken). I was compelled to read the ingredients list. Last time we ate one of these I didn't feel so well after the fact, and I attributed my digestive distress to the likelihood that the processed chicken probably contained MSG (Monosodiumglutamate).

Background information (TMI WARNING - skip this paragraph if you'd rather not hear about it): I am not allergic to MSG, but my central nervous system rejects MSG and Aspartame. I have a pretty immediate puke or diarrhea response to high levels of either of these common ingredients in processed foods. Thus my preference for non-diet soft drinks. Unfortunately, I also have the same response to raw raspberries, blackberries, cranberries, blueberries, kiwi fruit, mangoes, and acai berries. There is a spectrum of response; suffice it to say that I have come to an understanding that when any of these ingredients are present, especially in volume, they may cause my central nervous system to go on full TOXIN ALERT and purge the contents as efficiently as possible.

SO, as I read the ingredient list, which seemed ridiculously complex for a whole chicken, I tripped across a new word; Dimethylpolysiloxane.

"What the hell is that?" I wondered aloud. My husband had never heard of it. You know what I did.

Google, help! As I read the WikiEntry (linked here) I learned that I've been in contact with this substance annually for years when Santa delivered Silly Putty to my stocking each Christmas. And it makes sense that it helps my friend with a Boob job, I guess. This may also explain why I've never been a fan of Chicken McNuggets. I don't know if this is the culprit, because MSG is not on the list, but I am certainly suspicious!

Does my chicken with breasts really need silicone implanted before I bake it and eat it?!?!

Good grief!

(I would have said "YUCK!" but my grandmother taught me that "a polite no thank you will do.")

I think I'll thaw a venison loin and eat something less infused with crap when I enjoy all the fresh vegetables, grown organically in my little vegetable garden.

BTW - I did squish all the cabbage worms I was able to locate on the broccoli and cabbage. But that's a story for another day!

No comments: