Monday, February 14, 2011

R is for Reality Check

Hi.
My name is Bronwyn.
It's been one month since my last blog post.

Sorry faithful readers. Soon after that last post I hit the road for work for two weeks straight and then I spent a week battling the Carolina Crud. Thank God for flu shots or I would still be in bed!

So Reality Check.

Today is Valentine's Day. I have spent most of the day freezing at my desk contemplating what sort of romance may or may not happen tonight. My husband is thoughtful, funny, and loyal. He has never qualified as romantic. I always hope for flowers. It's a good time of year for a bright bouquet, especially if you live north of the Mason-Dixon Line. Sometimes he indulges me with flowers and chocolate - which is pretty perfect.

Today there were no flowers. No chocolate.

But not to worry! I have boxes of Thin Mints and Samoas at my disposal.

So what did my husband of 23.3 years bring home, you ask?

An Ugli fruit.

That is NOT a misspelling. It's one of my favorite things. It's the size of a grapefruit only a golden interior that is sweeter than a grapefruit. The exterior is an unbecoming shade of green-turning-yellowish when ready to be consumed. I LOVE Ugli fruit and they are not frequently available. They usually show up in small, under-appreciated quatities this time of year.

Next; time to contemplate dinner. As recently as four days ago I was "taken out for dinner" for my birthday. Even though I clarified before we left that I need not bring cash since it was my birthday, guess who had to cover the bill? That's right, Dale, restaurants don't accept checks any more. We've been aware of that trend for years. Where have you been?

And finally, as I admired the beautiful Amethyst earrings that accompanied the Ugli fruit, I complained of being cold all day. (Anyone who's been to my house between October and April understands this residential hazard.) Twice I reached for the heat register and commented that it was only pushing out cool air.

"The furnace is just cycling off, honey. It's just fine."

"No, Dale, I'm sure that it's blowing cool air."

"It's fine, Bronwyn. The thermostat says its 65 in here."

"Yes, but I had the temp set to 67 all day. I'm sure the sunshine in the southern windows helped. But now that the sun has gone down and you came home and dropped the setting, it's getting cold! I think the pilot light is out."

Reality Check.

Who is always right?

That's right; BRONWYN.

So we spent $120 tonight on a new igniter for the furnace. Thank God I married a guy that can fix stuff!

I wonder if the Green Mill has any food left. I think we have a coupon somewhere.

1 comment:

Marla Martin Hanley said...

Here's to mutual inspiration and tending only worthy projects (not that counted cross stitch from 1994!) Also, I woke up this morning to a clogged kitchen sink with 9 people coming for dinner party tomorrow....