Tuesday, November 30, 2010

L is for Lingerie

Yes, lingerie. For a long time I thought it was pronounced ling-ger-EE, having never heard the term spoken and only having read the signs in department stores as a child. I graduated from diapers to "Lady Pants" and undershirts (the cotton camisole style), which then devolved into plain old bras and underwear.

Wikipedia defines lingerie as:
a term for fashionable and possibly alluring undergarments. The term in the French language applies to all undergarments for either gender. In English it is applied specifically to those undergarments designed to be visually appealing or erotic. Lingerie usually incorporating one or more flexible, stretchy materials like Lycra, nylon (nylon tricot), polyester, satin, lace, and silk which are not typically used in more functional, basic cotton undergarments.

So why have I chosen Lingerie as the L word for this progressive post?

Well, NCIS was on the television keeping me company tonight as I settled into my hotel room in Orlando. And immediately following NCIS was the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show. I couldn't turn it off or walk away any more than I could walk away from morbid fascination with an accident scene, or a fire . . .

The costumer/drama geek in me was fascinated with the creations and the energy and music of the show. The feminist and humanist in me was somewhat disturbed. But I couldn't tear myself away.

Am I rushing off to cybershop for "angel undies?"

No.

I am still more about comfort and function than fashion.

So much energy and expense on so little fabric - fascinating!

No comments: