Monday, October 31, 2011

And Now for Something Entirely Different



Clark, Skovs & Moores - Oh My!
Happy relaxed Halloween!

Yup. Relaxed, for the first time in 15 years. Well, relaxed on this specific day/week/month.

The only costumes I worked on were the ones Dale and I wore. I did help my Dear Old Dad with his Pirate Chief make-up a little bit. But Deb had his costume ready to go and he was pretty self sufficient.

The only laundry I had to do was my own. I didn't have to help anyone discern what to be, nor did I have to lament over the fact that the costume they love is simply not their size.

The young 20-somethings carved pumpkins during their fall break and I used my favorite Halloween decorations from the now-defunct-shop to actually decorate my house for the first time in a decade and a half. I've been working pretty normally scheduled days and the only cooking I've been doing is for my own family. No extra vacuuming, sweeping, sorting, or drinking.

And on Friday of Halloween weekend we kenneled the dog at Beauty and the Beast and drove down the spectacularly gorgeous river valley to my home town-that-time-forgot, Galena, Illinois. We visited with friends and dressed up for the Halloween Parade and costume contests. My step-sister's family joined us and a great time was had by all!


Today was a relatively normal Monday and I realized that a woman with an orange, vintage motorcycle really should take it for a ride on All Hallows Eve. So off I went about an hour before sunset for an exhilarating ride on the gravel roads of the Cannon River valley.

Tonight I lit all the candles in the house decorations and posed my Gnome, Gnorbert II, with various decorations. It was all very relaxing and non-stressful, and probably healthy.

But there are no trick-or-treaters at our rural door. And the costume shop looks simply pathetic.

And I miss my friends the Costumers and our faithful Customers.

* * sigh * *

I guess I will need to find something entirely different to do next year! 








No comments: